Sunday, March 29, 2009

Week 5

Overall I enjoyed this book; however, I wouldn’t call it one of my favorites. The book at first was very intriguing because it was so different from anything else I had read. As the book progressed, I found that it didn’t really hold my attention and I found myself rereading a lot. I didn’t like that the plot moved very slowly, even if it was slowed down by the amazing use of description by Murakami. At some points, it even took me several pages to realize that this certain event was a flashback and not in the present. Maybe I would have found this book much easier to understand if I had read the first book in this trilogy. Something that surprised me about the book was how much of it I could relate to my World History class. This includes how animals came to live in certain areas, the Meiji era and Marxist theories.
Despite the storyline somewhat lacking for me and the eventual annoyance of the main character not having a name, the book’s symbolism and unique perspective on life were definitely won me over. I would recommend this book to people for its beautiful language and insight, but with a warning of its uniqueness that has probably turned some people away.

No comments:

Post a Comment