Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week 2 Setting

The setting is obviously a modern day Japan. Even though it is obvious the city in Japan never made an impression on me. Even though I knew it could not possibly be Kyoto which is very traditional, I never though of the city. Maybe I just thought is was Tokyo as an obvious statement that I just forgot about it after reading it. Even after mentions of the places in Tokyo that I knew of such as Aoyama and others the thought that it was in Tokyo just passed me by.
It was fine that I did not remember because the setting itself is not a very important aspect of this book. It seems to be in the background just to use as a backdrop when applicable. It seems that while reading people get the impression it can’t be anywhere else but Tokyo without actually having a need to notice that it is actually Tokyo.
The main part of the story is the psychological point of view and how each character can be analyzed. Another main part is obviously the adventure of the sheep chase. In both cases the setting can be changed in one’s mind between each reading. At some point I was sure it was in Hokkaido the snowy north of Japan. I am sure I had some reason…

Irini

No comments:

Post a Comment