Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week 2. Setting.

In this book, the narrator is of course describing the setting. The setting is in an urban city of Japan. One scene particularly jumped out at me while I was reading and thinking about scenery. In this scene, the narrator often personifies nature and objects around him, which I find very interesting. It allows the reader to understand the movement of the object verses just the way it looks. When the narrator is pulling up to the bosses huge house, he explains to the reader, "Behind us was the gravel road which we'd come on, trailing away in an all-too-picturesque course of twists and turns to the front gate off in the distance" (80). I really imagine this painting of a nice gravel road disappearing back to the gate. Then, I would turn around and see the house, "a painfully solitary building," (81) standing over me. Not only do these descriptions create a visual, but I believe is tells us a lot about what this mysterious "bossman" is about.

The narrator allows the reader to have insight into what he sees, and the thoughts that are going through his mind. Sometimes I wonder if a person could really think all of this in one setting, but then I remember that it is a book, and without these elongated descriptions, we would be lost as to the setting.

P.S.
Sorry for posting so late, guys. I was on an orchestra trip Thursday until about 6. Hope I didn't inconvienence anyone too much. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your point about the setting providing information about the "bossman" and stuff. It really shows that degree of writing that goes beyond the obvious.

    PS. how was Chicago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That section of reading also intrigued me. I think that it helped to show the main character's true character. In this case, the setting was used to assist character development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that scene too, particularly because of the setting. It seemed like the main character described the setting so much more in that scene than he had before. The descriptions really do help show the character, and the bossman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed that scene as well and I also thought the descriptions brought something interesting out in the main character. All of a sudden he cared about his surroundings enough to notice the above descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that suddenly this change in scenery brought something new out in the main character. The main character had always taken a little time to describe the setting, but now the descriptions are so much more detailed and show more about what the main charater thinks about his setting. I personally didn't think the descriptions helped us learn much about the bossman, but maybe I missed something.

    ReplyDelete